The truth about chaos is that it is necessary. One must tear down an old building in order to build a new one in its place. A couple of years ago, my children and I watched such an occurrence. The city tore down a building that was falling apart. It became a big mess of brick, dust, metal, glass, and more.
Imagine what would happen if the city looked at it the way we often look at our own lives and homes. They'd have seen the big mess and got discouraged. They would have thought things like, “Ugh, it's such a mess. I'll never get through this.” Then, with that great feeling of overwhelm, they'd start avoiding the mess and filling their time with other activities. Years later, there would still be a big mess.
Instead, the city had a plan. They knew that chaos precedes order. They knew that they had to clean up the mess and make room for a new building. It took a while to clean up the mess. After a couple of months cleaning up, they were able to break ground on the new building. They dug new holes and began construction on the buildings. First, the firehouse, as it was a priority. Then the police station and city-building went up. Lastly, they just finished replacing the park that was near this mess. It took a long time, but the effort was worth it. We have some beautiful buildings that are safe for our city officials to use.
Just this morning, my children were cleaning in their room. After a bit of progress, we thought they might be done. Then they decided it was time to clean out under my daughter's bed. It didn't take long for the room to look like they had not done a thing. Their room became a chaotic mess. My job as mom is to keep them going. I know that the mess is a necessary phase and the clean will be cleaner because they did this first.
This kind of chaos happens a lot when decluttering. We go into a closet and pull everything out. It then looks like a big mess. It really wouldn't make sense to stop in the middle just because it seems like a lot. We know that in the end, it will be cleaner because we'll be able to let go of the things that were hiding.
This probably makes sense to you when dealing with the cluttering or deep cleaning concept. The questions then come, “What about the chaos that just shows up?” “What about the room I clean and then seemingly by magic is a mess again?”
This chaos feels different but what if it isn't? What if it's a message from our subconscious to pay attention?
My space has been feeling especially like this. I cleaned and then when kids went through their clothes, the extras that we're saving for the next kid got dumped in my room. Then I got a job and they just sat there because it takes too much effort to put them away.
I get to ask myself questions. How is this a reflection in my life? I thought I had my money story cleaned up and then some things changed and it's like a bunch of stuff got dumped right back in. With this little bit of information, I can clean up my room and my money story. I'll keep asking the questions, clearing the energy, and my room will stay clean.
Just like the city needed a plan to deal with their mess, I need a plan to deal with mine. I don't want to let the chaos take over. I want to use it as a steppingstone on the path to order. What needs to be destroyed in my life in order to create the life I want? What do I need to add or take away? What is my next step? What would it take to get it cleaned up so well that my room can stay clean?
You too get to ask yourself similar questions. What your current home situation represents. What your next step is. What you want your outcome to be in the end. Keep asking the questions and moving forward so that you can create the new life you intend.
Michele
No comments:
Post a Comment